Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Friends or Not?

Today I'm reflecting on people. I'm so thankful for the people in my life that are real, true friends. A lot of these friendships go way back. It's so funny how you can click with some people and with others, you just don't. It's not a bad thing, I guess it's just what is. I can accept that. What I can't accept is when you think someone is a friend and they turn out not to be one. This has been one very interesting summer, sort of eye awakening. I always believed in giving someone a chance until they mess it up. You know, give you a reason not to trust them. This summer has been a lot of that. I take people at their word because after all, that's all we have is our word. But when someone is deceptive, intentionally, from the beginning then that is not really fair. To those people like that, I chalk up the learning experience of that person and just move on. But when my friends who I thought were my friends side with someone who is deceptive and take their word over mine, were they really friends to begin with? Probably not.


I think everything happens for a reason and this summer has given me the opportunity to really find out who the real people are in my life. And I really am thankful for that. Even though I got hurt along the way, it's better to know the truth. I don't know why people can't just be honest with one another and say what's on their mind. They're your friends so just say what you have to say and both of you can come to some sort of agreement.


A lot of my great friendships do go way back and are rooted in great memories and people always having my back and vice versa. I have met a lot of new people this summer as well and so far they have proven to be gems too. A few have not but what am I going to? Get upset? People are the way they are for a bunch of reasons and only they know why they are that way.


Another thing I find interesting is that I have grown and continue to always evolve and grow. I know so many people are still doing the same thing they did ten years ago, twenty years ago, whatever and I don't understand how they don't evolve. They might comment on things like what I'm wearing, my hairstyle, whatever it is and the only thing that runs through my mind is that they are really not worldly enough to know anything. They still live in their own worlds and things remain the same. For me I can't do this. If I did, I'd still have my 80's perm, I would not have moved across the country, I would not have taken so many risks that led me to where I am today. I love meeting new people because I think you can learn so much about other nationalities, countries, customs, cultures, all of the stuff that makes us different. How boring the world would be if we were all the same.


I don't ever want to be stuck and not evolve. And if people comment or make fun of something, it's because it's something they're not familiar with and that's okay because that's their own world, it's not mine. If they don't get it, they just don't get it. I try to always be nice to people and make them feel comfortable. I also try not to listen to the gossip, I talk with the person directly or I ask them directly, I don't really believe it unless it comes from the horse's mouth.



These past few months, there have been a handful of people who listen to the gossip and I was really thrown by the fact that they didn't call me to say, hey I heard this or that is it true? What's going on? So I guess they choose to believe what they hear. Then there are other people who called me right away to say hey, someone is saying bad things about you or handing out wrong information but I had your back and defended you. Those are the true friends. There are two people that I have to tell you, I will never speak to again and I do see them around and I just smile and continue having my good time because no one is going to bring me down. They are insignificant in my world. They stabbed me in the back when I never saw it coming so I just took out the knife and let the healing begin. Then I put a fork in them because as far as I'm concerned, they're done!

There's only one person, yes one person, that I was becoming friends with that just shut me out and I still don't know why, but he is the only one that I told that the door will always be open because I think that he was fooled by someone who was manipulative and since he is young, I don't think he even knows he got manipulated but I'm sure he's learning what the big city is about. And if he chooses to be my friend again, I meant what I said, the door is open. I don't usually do that because I am a person who doesn't hang where I'm not wanted so it was a big deal for me to tell this person that the door remains open. Unfortunately, they don't know me well enough to know that I'm not normally like that and in fact, some of my friends couldn't believe I didn't just write him off. I can't believe I didn't write him off haha but I guess it's because there is something there, some sort of kindred spirit that's making me say that he is really a good guy and shouldn't just shut the door.


The new people that I have met in the past couple of months, I have approached with the "old me" attitude where I totally scan them out for any insincerities and my guard is completely up and they have proven to be nice and gentle souls and trustworthy and I think they may even be some people that I will have lifelong friendships with. It's nice to meet such wonderful people after the hell I went through at the beginning of the summer.

They say living well is the best revenge. I agree with that but at the same time I just like to live well because I like living well, I've learned that revenge is useless in the end because people will get back the negativity they threw out ten times as bad so karma will take care of them, I don't have to. And honestly I really don't have the energy to care about getting revenge, I'd rather focus that energy into my own life and success.






Life will always throw you curve balls and you can either catch them and deal with it or you can stand there and get hit and get knocked down. Not me. I take what's coming and deal with it head on. Good or bad I deal with it. Be thankful for the friendships in your life and I hope you can tell the difference between your good friends and the people that come into your life that you really can live without. Continue on your own path of growth and success. Keep your head high and know that you have this one life, so live it to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment